Thursday, August 22, 2013

Tube amp improvements (part 1)

I will try to improve the tube amp with 6005 tubes in a push-pull configuration and 5670 tubes to excite the grids.
I have noted that these tubes (6005 and 5670) provides a good trade-off solution. Nice audio with low cost. You can easily find these tubes by US$5.00 to US$10.00.

I suppose that with minor differences in the other components I can get an improved audio. The improvements that I plan will be (ordered by priority):

1) Output transformers with high magnetization inductance to guarantee a deep bass.
2) Bigger capacitors at power source to reduce ripple noise.
3) I will verify if I can get a larger bandwidth with bigger coupling capacitors.
4) I will verify if I get an audio improvement with output transformers in ultralinear configuration.

Then, let's do it!

I have some fiberglass boards (double side) to build the circuit board.


I will build the circuit board and weld the components. Parallely I will order the transformers (source and output transformers).

No comments:

Post a Comment